Thursday, October 29, 2009

I don't get it.

Heather I don't understand that video. And that stupid song always plays at work. I hate my work soundtrack. I can't escape it - it's everywhere I go! I have a research methods midterm today. Should be awesome. I had an English midterm on Tuesday night. It was multiple choice. Why did I get a multiple choice midterm for a third year ENGLISH course? It's rhetorical, don't answer that. I hate that I go to class, I get lectured on a bunch of bullshit, and then I don't get tested on it. It was fact based. Here’s an idea: How about I re-start and NOT pay for the course, read the books on my own time, and learn the same amount. Don’t waste my time and my money. And it's not just that course, either. I hate school. Also, has anyone else noticed the exponential increase in stupidity? I can't STAND listening to people talk in class anymore. Don't regurgitate Wikipedia, and don't do it to sound smart. Don't reference things you heard in the hallway, because they are probably wrong. And don't quote comedians because you think you're hilarious. You're not. Shut up. Have you ever done a peer review? Me either. Do you know why? Because all you would do is read the first sentence, laugh, shred the paper and give up on life. Why can’t you use an apostrophe properly? Why do you get confused by ‘your’ and ‘you’re’? Why do you feel the need to use the word ‘like’ every two words? And why do you form all your sentences into questions, insisting on an upward inflection? I don’t get it. Hey, remember that time in grade twelve when I was like, “I don’t want to go to University,” and then I went because someone convinced me it would be a good idea? Remember that manipulation? Remember how I knew I would hate it and burn out, oh, halfway through? It’s happening! Right now! Listen to yourself, folks. If you think you’ll hate something, you’re probably right. Block out everyone and everything else. Know what you want. You know what I want? To not be in school. I’m not being crazy. Don’t ask me, "but Amy, however will you pay for life if you do not have a career that you got by a beneficial and fulfilling university education?" because that’s not the point. I NEVER wanted this. Ever. So why the hell am I wasting my time? Why do I have to plough through for the sake of getting it done? Why do I "NEED" an education, right now? Why do we let people tell us the stages in which things need to be completed? It's not a linear process. I should love this. WE should love this. I should be allowed to take a course here and a course there, without penalty. I should be able to take one, two, three years off whenever it pleases me. I should be able to move on with my life, get married, not get married, have kids, not have kids, and NOT have to worry about anything. Especially school. I can do it anytime. School is something WE CAN DO /ANY/ TIME. So why do we let it happen? Why am I going to look back on all of my schooling and say, "Thank goodness that's over. I hated it." Why is that process emphasized and supported? I don’t get it.

No comments: